Saturday, December 6, 2014

Dear Granny

Dear Granny,
I miss you. I miss you like it was yesterday. I don't like remembering the day you passed, but you were always practical, so I'm sure you would tell me to go ahead and talk about it.
It's strange, I don't talk about you that much. I don't know why, because, I think about you every day. You and Grandpa were such a huge part of my life. I don't think I would've had the life I have now if it hadn't been for you. So, here's the part where I get sentimental.
Granny, I miss your smell. You always smelled like those little Avon lipstick samples and something akin to potpourri, but not quite. I remember sitting at your vanity at the foot of your bed with the immaculate chenille bedspread, and thinking that I would be just like you when I grew up. I remember playing pretend in the pantry. All the canned okra, peaches, tomatoes, apricots, berries and everything else. I remember walnut season. Grandpa was a something, wasn't he? Picking the walnuts, shucking the walnuts. Going back to school and being so embarrassed about my nails being stained black. It was dirty work in my mind, at the time.
So many memories in that little house on the corner of Olive and Newcomb St in Porterville
The day you passed, a little part of me did, as well. The day Grandpa passed was also hard. However, we're doing well. Sam has a son, his name is Benjamin Ira Kirby. You'd adore Sams girlfriend. Actually, that doesn't sound good enough. Kalindi is my sister in law, and the proud mother of your great great grandchild. She's amazing, Bens amazing, Sams amazing, the whole Kirby Rogers clan is amazing! . I recently got married to the love of my life, his name is Peter. I was married once before, and in a few other relationships. But you once told me when I was ten, that sometimes, you have more than one great love, but you only have one true love. Well Granny, I found my true love.  We'll be trying for a baby after the new year, and if it's a girl, she'll have your name as a middle name. I digress. Sam has a bachelors degree, he graduated from Humboldt State with honors, and he is an amazing artist. I went to Cosmetology school, and I'm now licensed and working in the industry. There is so much else, but I will save it for another letter. I hope you're proud of us. Give Grandpa a hug from us
Love always,
Sarah Kirby Lopez

No comments:

Post a Comment